In a bid to provide you with an in-depth understanding of arthritis, we’ve compiled comprehensive information regarding what arthritis is, its causes, symptoms, and how a professional physical therapist can help in treatment and management. At our Physical Therapy Clinic, we prioritize your wellness and are dedicated to offering tailored therapy solutions to alleviate your discomfort and improve your mobility.
What is Arthritis?
Arthritis is an umbrella term used to describe conditions affecting the joints and surrounding tissues. The two most common types are osteoarthritis (OA) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA). OA tends to occur with aging or after a joint injury and predominantly affects the fingers, knees, and hips. On the other hand, RA is an autoimmune disorder that primarily targets the lining of the joints, leading to painful swelling, which can eventually result in joint deformity.
What Causes Arthritis?
The causes of arthritis vary significantly depending on the type. Here’s a breakdown:
- Osteoarthritis: The cartilage – a firm but flexible connective tissue in your joints, that wears away with age or due to injury, causing the bones to rub together, leading to osteoarthritis.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: This type is caused by an autoimmune disorder where the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks its own tissues, affecting the joint linings and causing painful swelling.
Other factors such as genetics, obesity, infections, or occupational hazards may also contribute to the onset or exacerbation of arthritis conditions.
What Are The Symptoms of Arthritis?
The symptoms of arthritis may vary from mild to severe and may include:
- Joint pain, stiffness, and swelling.
- Decreased range of motion.
- Redness and warmth around the joint area.
- In severe cases, joints may appear deformed.
It’s crucial to consult with healthcare professionals if you’re experiencing persistent symptoms of arthritis to get an accurate diagnosis and timely intervention.
What is The Treatment for Arthritis?
While there is no cure for arthritis, an effective treatment plan can significantly alleviate pain, improve joint function, and slow the progression of the disease. Treatment may include:
- Medication for pain relief and to reduce inflammation.
- Physical therapy to maintain joint flexibility and strength.
Occupational therapy to learn how to perform daily activities without stressing your joints.
In severe cases, surgical procedures like joint replacement or joint fusion may be necessary.
What Can a Physical Therapist Do for Me?
Physical therapists are invaluable in providing relief and promoting optimal function of the body. Here’s how they can help:
- Customized Exercise Programs: Designing exercises aimed at strengthening muscles, increasing flexibility, and improving range of motion.
- Pain Management: Utilizing various modalities like heat or cold therapy, ultrasound, or electrical stimulation to alleviate joint pain.
- Education: Teaching you about joint protection techniques, ergonomic principles, and adaptive strategies to prevent further joint damage and improve your performance in daily activities.
- Manual Therapy: Performing hands-on techniques to mobilize joints and soft tissues, reducing stiffness and pain.
- Assistive Devices: Recommending and educating on the use of adaptive equipment to help in daily tasks and to promote independence.
Ready for Relief? Call Us Today!
Don’t let arthritis slow you down. Take a proactive step towards better health and mobility by scheduling an appointment with our experienced therapists. At our Physical Therapy Clinic, we are committed to delivering personalized care aimed at meeting your unique needs and enhancing your quality of life. Call us today at 212-406-8080 to schedule your initial consultation and take the first step towards a pain-free life.
Request An Appointment
Please fill out this form and
we will contact you about scheduling.
“I am from North Carolina. I hurt my back 8 months ago, I was having severe pain and spasms, After going to several physical therapists with no progress. I lost all hope. On the recommendation of my daughter (who lives in NY) I made an appointment to see Monica. Monica is very encouraging and extremely competent. She has excellent evaluation skills. She tailored my treatment to my individual needs. I am Finally returning on the road to recovery, Words can not express how grateful I am to Monica. Tribeca physical therapy center is a great facility with great staff. Thank you.”
“I had been dealing with back pain for several months before starting to work with Kristian. A back doctor recommended I take shots but I wanted to give PT a try first. Kristian developed a set of stretches that really focused on the area where I was feeling the pain and provided immediate improvement. I had anticipated that my recovery would be measured in months, but in a short period of weeks I am just about fully recovered. And my balance and core strength has vastly improved. As I told Kristian at our last session “I’m a new man!” Highly recommend.”